Friday, April 16, 2010

Cork Taint Strikes My Cellar

I've had a couple of Oregon rosés in the cellar that I purchased far too many years ago and haven't drunk so I decided to pull one out for dinner tonight. I was afraid that the 2003 Adelaida Vin Gris de Pinot Noir was past its prime, but what I didn't expect was the massive whiff of cork taint the emerged as soon as I pulled the natural cork. Ugh.... TCA (trichloroanisole) has finally struck my cellar. Up to now, I honestly don't think I've had an episode of cork taint from one of my purchased wines. But the law of averages has finally snuck up on me.

Too bad, I remember this wine being a lively, crisp, fruity delight back when I sampled it at the winery. Today, it was a shallow husk of a wine. No fruit and wilting under the TCA onslaught.

Let this be a lesson to you all. Drink those rosés now! They're meant for early consumption so don't wait. Find your guy/gal, grab some picnic fare from the grocery store, and enjoy a sunny spring day with a glass of rosé!

Cheers,
Noel